Congratulations Kelsey! MWLP Work Placement Student of the Year

Photo by: Photographic Memory (www.photographicmemory.com.au)
Entertainment
Dual winners Gaius Commons & Kelsey Commons – Southern Cross Catholic Vocational College pictured with Patrick O’Reilly, Principal

Kelsey Commons from Southern Cross Catholic Vocational College was nominated not once, but three times across two different frameworks – Hospitality and Entertainment.

Peter Cassidy, Head Chef at Glass Brasserie Hilton Hotel said “Kelsey was a great student. She showed real enthusiasm and fit into the team well. We offered her an apprenticeship but she wanted to continue her studies.”

Both Horizon Theatre Company and 32 Hundred Lighting thought Kelsey was exceptional. Thanh Tran from 32 Hundred Lighting said “Her enthusiasm was outstanding and she had a great understanding of the business and spent her time wisely. She was really keen to learn from all the staff and was clearly one of the best students we have ever had.”

It was no wonder Kelsey was awarded MWLP’s Work Placement Student of the Year.

In Kelsey’s words “I am gobsmacked to win. The night was amazing. VET education has changed my perspective on education. VET is more practical and the knowledge is easier to hold onto. Since studying Hospitality my maths skills are a lot better and I’m much more enthusiastic in my studies. It is an honour to be nominated by my host employers and to win is just wonderful.”

Patrick O’Reilly, Principal of Southern Cross Catholic Vocational College added “We are very proud of our students being recognised at tonight’s Awards. I am proud to see some of our students in the winner’s category. MWLP does a fantastic job supporting Southern Cross. The single biggest benefit the Awards provide is recognition of students’ competence and confidence.”

“It is fabulous that Kelsey was recognised by three employers in two frameworks. She is destined to go a long way. In a world that can often be dominated by numbers, including the ATAR, tonight showcases that achievement comes in all sorts of ways and we should celebrate them all.”

Categories

Latest News, News