EXTERNAL VET (EVET) STUDENTS
While many students enrol full-time at Southern Cross Catholic Vocational College, all Vocational (VET) courses are also offered as one block session per week (in the afternoon or morning) so students from other schools can attend part-time as external students. The timetable of classes being held in 2020 is shown here.
Calendars for 2020 EVET classes can be found here:
Preliminary and HSC Courses
The following EVET courses are being offered in 2021 to Year 10, Year 11 and Year 12 students. Most courses are 240 hour courses and run over 2 years.
- Automotive – Mechanical (240 hours over 2 years)
- Baking (300 hours over 2 years)
- Beauty Services (Make-Up) (360 hours over 2 years)
- Business Services (240 hours over 2 years)
- Construction (Pathways) (240 hours over 2 years)
- Early Childhood Education and Care (360 hours over 2 years)
- Education Support (300 hours over 2 years)*
- Entertainment Industry (300 hours over 2 years)
- Events (Tourism, Travel and Events) (240 hours over 2 years)
- Furniture Making (180 hours in 1 year)
- Hairdressing (180 hours in 1 year)
- Hospitality (240 hours over 2 years)
- Human Services (Allied Health) (240 hours over 2 years)
- Human Services (Nursing) (300 hours over 2 years)
- Information and Digital Technology (240 hours over 2 years)
- Real Estate Practice (300 hours over 2 years)
- Retail Services (240 hours over 2 years)
- Screen and Media (240 hours over 2 years)
* Can only be completed as part of a School Based Traineeship
Most courses allow Year 12 students to complete a part qualification if they join the class for one year only. There are exceptions to this rule so please enquire if you are unsure.
In some cases students can also undertake additional training in courses related to courses being completed at their own school or in addition to an existing EVET course, enabling them to either extend their competency or even complete the full Certificate III qualification in that course. These courses are an additional 120 hours, over one year.
- Construction (Carpentry) (120 hours)
- Hospitality (Catering Operations) (120 hours)
- Hospitality (Food and Beverage) (120 hours)
In addition students who are completing a School Based Traineeship in Automotive complete an additional 120 hour course (Automotive Service Technology) at SCCVC on set days throughout their HSC year. The dates for this training can be found here
Stage 5 (Year 9 or 10) Courses
The following EVET courses are being offered in 2021 to Year 9 or Year 10 students. All courses are 100 hour courses and run for one year. If a student completes a Stage 5 course in Year 9 they are eligible to complete a different Stage 5 course in Year 10.
- Automotive (Certificate I)
- Business (Certificate I)
- Construction (Certificate I)
- Hospitality (Certificate I)
- Retail (Certificate I)
How to apply
Interested students should visit the Sydney Catholic Schools Vocational Education website to learn more about specific courses, you can also view more information about the EVET Courses available in 2021 here
Students who wish to attend these courses in 2020 will be required to complete an EVET Expression of Interest form and discuss with their VET Coordinator at their home school. Once you receive permission from your school, you can apply for a course here.
All students are inducted into the College during the first week of classes. Here is a copy of some of the information presented to students.
As well as the VET Courses offered here at the college to students from other schools, SCCVC students have the option of undertaking EVET study in courses offered by other Trade Training/Skills Centres and TAFE NSW and other providers.
The following links provide further information on this option of study:
- Sydney Catholic Schools EVET website
- Trade Training/Skills Centres
- TAFE courses for school students (TVET)
Schools should follow this link to review NESA enrolment processes